People jump on the low-carb diet bandwagon all the time. Do low carb diets work? We tackled that topic on this page. Today, we’ll talk about the ten best foods to stock up on if you are joining the masses and taking a journey on a low carb diet.
It may seem cliché to go low-carb at this point, but there is a reason that so many people follow this type of weight loss diet. And the reason is simple. It works! It actually helps you to lose weight! So it makes sense to choose the diet that is going to give you the best possibility for weight loss success.
Other people switch to a low-carb diet when they begin working out and look to build lean muscle. This is an excellent way to focus your efforts and enhance your workouts. Fitness is definitely going to help you build lean muscle mass, but it’s also important to realize that diet plays a serious role as well.
Below we will tell you about 10 different low-carb foods that are perfect for the low-carb diet. Many of you will eat the same proteins every day. This list should help you mix it up and add more variety to your daily meals.
10 of Our Favorite Low-Carb Foods
- Chicken breast – chicken breast is an excellent option on the low-carb diet for a wide variety of reasons. First of all, it is very high in protein, and this is exactly what you want when attempting to lose weight and build lean muscle mass. It’s also a meat that is very low in fat, and this is especially important for your health. You can prepare chicken breast in a number of different ways. Our personal favorite methods are broiling or grilling chicken and adding seasoning and herbs and spices. You can cut up your chicken and add it to soups or salads, or serve it as is as your main entrée.
- Ground turkey – we think that ground turkey is another excellent option because it is a hearty protein that is also quite versatile. Not only is this meat high in protein, but it is also very low in calories and fat. You can cook it and add it to just about every meal, which makes it easy to incorporate into some of your favorite existing recipes. You can make turkey chili, turkey meatballs, turkey spaghetti sauce or even turkey burgers. Your options are endless with this potent protein.
- Pork tenderloin – when people first start their low-carb diets, they have a typical tendency to overlook the tasty and incredibly nutritious pork tenderloin. One of the best, leanest, and tastiest meats should become a regular staple of your diet when going low-carb. Not only is it so good for you, but it’s healthy, quick and easy to make. You can marinate it or add additional seasoning to help bring out the wonderful flavor.
- Salmon – as far as healthy low-carb choices go, salmon is simply one of the best that there is. This superfood is loaded with omega-3 fatty acids and it is packed full of nutrients and protein. Not only is salmon incredibly tasty, but it’s lower in calories as well, and this will help you lose more weight and build lean muscle at the same time. Make salmon a regular fixture of your low-carb eating plan. You can grill it or broil it, and for additional flavor you can cook it in a lemon butter sauce.
- Crab – crab is another excellent protein option for those looking to drop those unwanted pounds on a low-carb diet. But out of all of the options that we’ve presented so far, you need to be the most careful with this one. Stay away from imitation crab and always choose the real thing. When cooking crab, you can boil, broil or bake it since those are the preferred and healthiest cooking methods. Try not to fry it or coat it in too much butter since this is not the healthiest option.
- Hard-boiled eggs – this is often another fan favorite of many low-carb dieters, and there are certainly plenty of great reasons for that. For starters, hard-boiled eggs are loaded with nutrients. And since it is a complete protein, you do not have to worry about getting your protein from additional sources at breakfast time, or any time of the day for that matter.
- Pistachios – nuts make an excellent snack when enjoying the benefits of a low-carb diet. And the great thing about pistachios is that they are incredibly healthy for you even though they have higher calorie ratios than some of the other foods that we’ve mentioned. They taste delicious. They are completely satisfying. And they are high in fiber and contain ample protein. This makes them the perfect low-carb diet snack.
- Sunflower seeds – sunflower seeds are also the perfect addition to low-carb diets. They make an excellent snack. They make a wonderful topping on salads. And you can even add them to many of your other wonderful low-carb meals. Eat a handful of them on the go or mix them together with some pistachios along with other nuts and seeds and create your very own trail mix. The sky’s the limit when it comes to this excellent source of low-carb protein.
- Black beans – one of the best things about the low-carb black bean is that it is also incredibly satiating. You can eat black beans all day long, but you’ll never need to since they are so filling. And the surprising thing about black beans and other beans is that they are also packed with protein. They are slightly higher in calories than some of the other options mentioned today, but they taste great, they are low in carbs, and they are perfect for this type of diet and lifestyle.
- Hummus – this low-carb bean dip is a flawless option for those looking for a tasty treat. You can spread hummus on whole-grain crackers, or even use it as a condiment for sandwiches, hamburgers, steaks, and much more. Again, this is a bean dip so it’s higher in calories than some of the other choices. But it sure is tasty and a great option for all low-carb dieters.
Notice we didn’t even touch on a very important part of dieting and overall health – eating clean vegetables! Vegetables lead to weight loss because they are low in calories and very high in nutrients.
As you can see, there are plenty of options to choose from when on a low-carb diet. We’ve shared 10 of our favorite foods with you today. Please incorporate them into your daily eating plan as soon as possible.